Old 11-03-2003, 10:09 PM
SugarChile

Default Bug help--can this ficus be saved?

Slightly less fussy is to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab to remove
them. I'm sorry to say it, but it's unlikely that you got them all, and
this is likely to be an ongoing problem. Ficus are very susceptible to
scale. I was personally adverse to using an systemic insecticide on my
ficus, and was resigned to wiping it down on a regular basis. The problem
was always worse around this time of year, after a season indoors. When I
summered the tree outdoors, the scale seemed to disappear--more humidity?
rain? scale predators? I'm not sure.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"John T. Jarrett" wrote in message
I just spent a half hour picking them off my Ficus with a pair of

tweezers -
didn't want to spray anything nasty in the bathroom where it is located.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
"Dave G" wrote in message
om...
If you can, take the tree outside and use a garden hose to knock off
the spider mites. The black things are a scale insect. Try an oil
spray or insecticidal soap. They shouldn't bother your husband. I've
also used soapy water with so so results. Hope this helps.