Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 PM
TShnnn

Default Greenhouse or Grow Room?

In article ,
Charles Peters wrote:

I'm not sure where in the Northeast you live, but I'm in Baltimore, a
little south of you, no doubt, and found when exploring the same
question that without heating, cooling and powered ventilation, I would
only be able to use a greenhouse about four or five months a year,
Spring and late Summer-early Fall. The rest of the time it's just too
hot or too cold. Realizing that, I invested instead in an HID light,
HPS in the Fall and Winter, MH conversion bulb in the Spring and
Summer. Seems to work well, no insect problems, and while not as much
fun as a greenhouse might be, actually more growing room than I would
have had in a reasonably priced GH. Just some thoughts.

CP

Yea, I live in New England (I am the one who started the
thread...different computer now). I think that venting the greenhouse
would be feasable for me - the Juliana greenhouses (and others) all have
top vents that can be controlled with a thermostat- and pretty cheaply.
I guess what I am wondering is should I buy one of these now (are they
any good?) and use it all spring, summer and part of the fall, and THEN
buy a HPS or MH for the basement in the winter? I just love the look of
a nice greenhouse, but I just dont know if it would be the right move
for a growing orchid collection if I wasnt going to use it year-round. I
want to spend less than $1000 for the greenhouse, AND I want it work
well for the orchids I described. So...I could get this set-up soon, or
I could spend less than half of that outfitting a grow room in the
basement...