Old 12-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Perennial Combinations

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

I designed our front garden with winter in mind, concentrating on
evergreens, interesting foliage, and berries. Curiously, it has turned
out to be colourful all the year round, with the leaves giving
contrasting shades of grey, green and purple most of the year and the
seasonal flowers - heathers, spring bulbs, magnolia, polygonum, malva
moschata, primulas, nicotiana, crocosmia, skimmia, chaenomeles - giving
brighter highlights.

Excellent point. I've recently started experimenting with riots of late
summer colour but for a long time may garden was predominantly evergreen
shrubs with only limited herbaceous planting plus "sub tropical" bed. It was
amazing how many people remarked how colourful the garden looked in winter -
when in fact is was (virtually) 100% green.

pk