Old 12-03-2003, 12:44 AM
James Mayer

Default Need advice on lettuce selection...

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:58:21 GMT, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:08:40 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Iceberg lettuce is hard to grow. Don't bother. I haven't tried to grow
romaine. Leaf lettuces, like Black Seeded Simpson and Red Sail are easy to
grow in early spring.

I found romaine just as easy to grow as the leaf lettuces.

So have I. I have redsails and romaine growing next to each other
along the shade of a wood fence. I have buttercrunch, bib and spinach
in another row. I have also made salads with colards, cauliflower
leaves, broccoli leaves and Brussels sprouts leaves. I have some
oxalis that would also go into a salad if I remember to pick it when
I'm getting the other greens. There are lots of stuff that you can
make salads out of.