Old 12-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Zeuspaul

Default Distilled water?

Polar wrote:

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 00:37:56 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

Polar wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 00:38:34 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

Bottled water that has been processed with reverse osmosis is mineral free
unless minerals have been added back for flavor. I get RO water at the
local water store for 25 cents per gallon.

Is this for drinking or watering gard en?

If for drinking, and you get it from a dispenser, caveat! The filters
and general cleanliness at supermarket dispensers leave much to be
desired.

--
Polar

Agreed. I don't buy water from the water vending machines anymore as the
filters may not well maintained. One smelly fill and that was the end of that.

We have a lot of water stores here in SoCal with multi-stage water processing.
One still has to be careful with the water stores as some do not change their
filters at proper intervals. If I detect any odor whatsoever I don't go back.
I also make ice with the water. If the ice is not clear then I don't use the
water either. Clear ice is a good indication that the RO process is working.
Cloudy ice is an indication of gas or minerals in the water.

Question: Why not just filter your drinking water at home -- whether
with a free-standing, or attached filter device?

That way you can monitor the filter-changing interval.

--
Polar

I used to filter my own water. However I believe the water store can do a better
job. They use a dual pass RO process. They also use UV to sterilize. I believe
they use about seven filters. If I were to try and duplicate their process it would
take up a lot of real estate in my garage not to mention the maintenance.

I wouldn't save very much either as RO filters have to be replaced as well as the
other filters. 25 cents a gallon for properly filtered water is a good price. I
use a store on the way to work so it is also convenient.

If there were not a quality water store near by at a reasonable price I would filter
my own.

Regards

Zeuspaul