Old 04-03-2006, 11:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Tomato wilt

Paul wrote:

In article

,
"PatC" wrote:

Every time I've tried to grow Tomatoes the last few years they get that wilt
that starts at the bottom leaves going a brown colour & then within a short
time engulfs the whole plant.
So I decided I would start with a new very large pot, use new topgrade
potting mix, add some blood & bone, use new seeds 'Rouge de Marmand' & put
the pot on the top verandah where no Tomato plants have ever been before &
make sure that nothing from the garden came in contact with the new plants.
Well guess what they grew really well & robust -now have the same disease
again!Any ideas pretty please

I find the cherry tomatoes are more resistant to disease and pests (in
Perth, WA). I tried a few "normal size" tomatoes this year and they
were scrappy. I even bought a "black russian" hoping to interest the
kids. This specimen died back from the growing tip! Perhaps its the
weather.

Paul

I guess the test would be to try the grafted varieties, which are
supposed to be grafted using cherry tomatoes, but keep in mind where theres
been a lot of rain, wilt (of this is the reason) will be rife.
Best to observe where they grow best. (under cover) plant them in
different spots in your garden. I even got the wife toaccept that the
flower garden is OK. She loves tomatoes, so when theyre sick she agree
quick....Nematodes could also be a problem, but I'm not sure of the
symptoms...
Watering has to be done carefully of course, and never at night. So
early morning is ok.
Ive been growing cucurbits Cucumbers, zuchinis, pumpkins, tomatotoes,
and some of these plants are subject to wilts so companion planting does
help in some cases, even if you avoid planting these together as the
"harbour" these kind of things. In my case the tomatoes have been a
genuine disaster.
Will think of this next year, as well as looking out for ideal spots for
all of these. You almost need a garden planting planner. Anyone seen a
good computer program for home gardeners for this?