Old 04-03-2006, 06:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Cats and Parrots (was Cats are evil (not off-topic))

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:53:18 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Which is why it's cruel to sell single lovebirds. They are extreme
bonders and should not be sold at all any more unless they are in
pairs.

My Hahn's macaw needs physical contact for about 4 hours a day. She
needs nuzzling, cooing, scratching, playing, rolling over, going
under the blanket game, and a number of other social activities.

I felt sorry for my poor bird. I gave her to a lady who had lovebirds, so I
hope her life improved greatly!
Four hours I could handle. But not all day.
Do all birds crap every where, including on you, or can they be trained to
go only in one place?

Mika is trained to go poop on command. So, it's up to me to remember
to "poop" her about every ten minutes. Birds poop every ten or so
minutes. It takes that long for a bird to digest and they poop very
often.

I also built Mika a gym to be stationed at all day in the living room.
She can fly around to the hanging I put under the skylite for her and
she has three forage stations with different types of food. She has
it reallly good!

I have papers down and she knows to poop on her papers. It's very
easy to train a bird to go poop on command. We taught her in a half
hour.