Old 04-03-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Cultivating a small wood

In article .com,
wrote:

I am looking into the options for a 1/4 acre plot of grassed land that
I own at the rear of my garden. One possibility is to "cultivate" it
into a small wood, and this really appeals to me.

Unfortunately, I'm totally ignorant on most things botanical....so I'm
in need of some guidance as to how I might get started. My objectives
are

i. relatively low cost & maintenance; i don't have much spare time
outside weekends
ii. attract wildlife
iii. a variety of trees, with emphasis on quick growing species (NOT
the dreaded leylandi !)
iv. maintain a small grassed area in the middle where one could
"escape" with a good book
v. encourage wild flowers to grow .

As I say, I'm pretty much clueless on this and am looking for advice on
how I might get started. Any good web links or organsiations would be
usuful.

A damn good idea. You can do all of that, easily, but there is a
conflict between quick-growing and low maintenance. Good plants
include most native trees - I would recommend getting some that
are sold bare-root for hedging, and letting them grow. You should
also be able to get hazel, chestnut and others, plus finding some
seedlings of oak, ash (watch out), holly, yew etc. Most can be
coppiced, which will provide you with firewood and keep them from
getting out of control.

And don't be scared of planting more than you need (if they are
cheap or free) and letting them fight it out. That is what happens
naturally.

To start them off, dig a 1' square hole, stake them so you can find
them, and keep the grass from smothering them for a year or two.
If you have hares or deer, you need to buy protective sleeves
foresters use them, and you are going in for small-scale forestry).
You will probably want to buy a decent bilhook to keep them under
control, but that is about all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.