Old 05-03-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

Default Turning a *road* into a wildlife Garden?

Adjacent to my garden and several neighbours gardens is a road/lane
which once lead to a small factory which has now been demolished and
housing is now under construction, on the site. The developer has
built another access and has planning permission to build a wall at each
end of the road/lane. I am negotiating with the developer to buy the
bit adjoining my garden. I will need change of use planning permission,
which should not be difficult. I will probably dig out this and build a
garage and space to park the caravan there.

My next door neighbour will probably not be able to buy the bit
adjoining their garden, about 20 yards by 5 yards, about 3 ft above the
garden level. So I will probably end up getting it, to give myself an L
shaped bit of land. I hope to turn this into a wildlife garden at
minimum cost, which will also stop people getting onto my land. The
lane/road is covered with a layer of second hand tarmac from a public
road which was being resurfaced. Underneath is probably several feet
of foundry slag (the pretty green glassy stuff) and hardcore, very well
drained.

The present plan is to break up the surface with a JCB or road drill,
and spread a few inches of the cheapest soil I can get over the surface.
Then plant a row of prickly species roses as a barrier to people, and on
the rest other things to harbour wildlife, trees would be too big, bushes
up to 10 ft mature height would be OK.

Has anyone any other ideas?
Or things which will survive on these terrible conditions.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are