Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

Default Turning a *road* into a wildlife Garden?

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 10:19:03 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

|Adjacent to my garden and several neighbours gardens is a road/lane
|which once lead to a small factory which has now been demolished and
|housing is now under construction, on the site. The developer has
|built another access and has planning permission to build a wall at each
|end of the road/lane. I am negotiating with the developer to buy the
|bit adjoining my garden. I will need change of use planning permission,
|which should not be difficult. I will probably dig out this and build a
|garage and space to park the caravan there.
|
|My next door neighbour will probably not be able to buy the bit
|adjoining their garden, about 20 yards by 5 yards, about 3 ft above the
|garden level. So I will probably end up getting it, to give myself an L
|shaped bit of land. I hope to turn this into a wildlife garden at
|minimum cost, which will also stop people getting onto my land. The
|lane/road is covered with a layer of second hand tarmac from a public
|road which was being resurfaced. Underneath is probably several feet
|of foundry slag (the pretty green glassy stuff) and hardcore, very well
|drained.
|
|The present plan is to break up the surface with a JCB or road drill,
|and spread a few inches of the cheapest soil I can get over the surface.
|Then plant a row of prickly species roses as a barrier to people, and on
|the rest other things to harbour wildlife, trees would be too big, bushes
|up to 10 ft mature height would be OK.

Forgot to mention, the other side of the road is gardens with wall then
well trimmed leylandii on top of a 20 ft bank with new houses at the
bottom. So these houses are not interested in the land as they would never
see it from the house.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are