Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose

Default Watering Tomatoes

writes:
[snip]

You might want to give them natural light during the day since you only
have a few. I don't know if the lights in your bath are strong enough
unless they are just inches above your plants.

I'm doing something a bit different this year with the babies. As soon as
the first plants (started in peat pellets) were 3/4-1-inch tall, I started
moving them into larger peat pots filled with starting soil. They are all
in standard nursery trays which makes the next step a bit easier. Each
morning, I take the trays outside and put them in a raised bed with an old
storm window over them - a makeshift cold frame - and bring them in at
night. This way they get the full daylight (sunshine isn't the right word
for our area!) during the day. It seems to be working very well as, so
far, nothing is getting leggy (or leaning to one side) and all plants look
healthy.

Interestingly, the cauliflower was the first to sprout, tomatoes next.
Even basil is growing like this; it didn't grow at all before for me. I
started with one tray of plantings, three seeds in each pellet, six
pellets of each, so now have 18 plants of each that I planted, figure
that's a great sprout rate.

I'll report back later as to whether this is working. One thing for
certain they shouldn't need any hardening off to plant them when the time
comes as they will already be semi-hardened. It's a lot of extra effort
with regard to moving them, but still less than walking a dog. g

So, Seth, you might try setting them outside during the day for that extra
light, depending, of course, on non-30s temps. If you daytime temperature
is at least 10 degrees above freezing at all times, it might be okay.

On another note, has anyone thought of trying mirrors to help maximize the
light from the grow lights used for starting seeds? Any thoughts as to
whether it would be effective?

Glenna