Old 05-03-2006, 06:40 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too much ash

I have noticed that when I burn wood it leaves little ash but when I
burn mostly tree bark, that it leaves a volume of ash that is about 5
times greater than wood. I have asked this question before with no
answer. What is the element or chemical compound in tree bark versus
tree wood that explains this difference. Is it potassium that the
potassium compounds are metabolized into the bark.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium