Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default Colchisine on Orchids ?

more than likely it I is *me* who doesn't know what the kid was talking
about. I was trying to paraphrase what he was telling me and he was talking
over my head. He said he was working with orzalin and lily pollen to double
the haploid chromosome back up to the diploid number and then using a lily
egg cell that had had it's chromosomes removed and injected with the diploid
pollen chromosomes in order to grow the diploid pollen up into a lily plant.
He explained they had to do something to the embryo to trick it into growth
but that he didn't see why it couldn't be done with an orchid if it worked
with a lily. But then he was talking over my poor alien head and should not
be blamed if i failed to get it well enough to communicate it to somebody
else.

I just thought it was fascinating to hear him talking because it revealed
the amazing difference in the way genetics is seen today versus when I was
in high school 25 years ago. Back then, granted not *advanced placement*,
we planted pea seeds and worked hard to remember how to spell Gregor Mendel
should it come up on the test.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Kid doesn't know what he's talking about. Besides what exactly is an
"empty" egg cell....lol....It's gotta contribute some genomic
information to produce a viable gamete.