Old 06-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Weng Weng is offline
Registered User

Location: England

---

Reka, I use pure Seramis as a regular medium (no crocking), water with rainwater & very little fertilizer. I only need to repot when the plant gets too big for the pot. Watering is easy - with a hose-pipe when the surface changes colour :-)

I used to grow epiphytes in 10cm perlag (a harder version of perlite) in terracotta pots, and terrestrials in Seramis in plastic pots. About 6 years ago, I wondered if Doritis might also grow in Seramis. Then Doritaenopsis, then Phalaenopsis, then some Dendrobiums followed. Only Ascocentrum, Aerides, Cattleya, Laelia, Oncidium & Vanda are now in perlag.

Popular orchids currently in Seramis (not mentioned) are Coelogyne, Cypripedium, Disa, Paphiopedilum & Phragmipedium.

I don't do too well with Cymbidium though.

Weng