Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com

Default Building a permanent Raised bed structure

"newgardener" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mozie wrote:

1. I don't intend to pull up the bricks (underneath the bed itself) but
will ensure there is sufficient drainage. The passage is on a slight
tilt/angle so shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, there is also only
building rubble under the bricks, so there seems no point.

Try pouring some water on the patio and see if it drains. If so,
you're probably fine.

2. I'm wondering if I need to seal the bottom and inner sides.

I don't see that there'd be any advantage in sealing it.

the only issue I can think of is possibly losing soil through water leach.
If that is a possibility try adding some type of matting at the bottom. You
may get away with simple weed matting however other alternatives I can think
of, which may be cheaper, include old carpet or felt underlay or even an old
wool, bed underlay. The advantage of the latter 3 is that they will be
porous and will let water trickle through if you over water but still retain
a good amount of moisture. You will have to factor them into how high you
build.

rob