Old 12-03-2003, 05:10 AM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] sifting soil components

At 07:07 PM 3/11/03 -0500, Jim Lewis wrote:
How about the Oil Dry they sell at Tractor Supply real cheap?

Oil Dri is made by the makers of Turface. I think its grain size
is a bit smaller than Turface, and it may not have been fired at
as high a temperature. I have never used it, but have been told
that its consistency may not be as reliable as Turface and it
may, at times, be mushy when constantly wetted.

It is, however, better than kitty litter.

Jim, et al

There was an interesting article in the San Francisco Chronicle last week
on Oil Dri Inc. It seems they mine their product near Reno NV, not far from
Lake Tahoe. Their mining expansion was turned down by the local planning
dept and they sued all the way to Federal Appeals Court. Memos showed they
solicited the support of the Interior Dept since part of the venture was on
Federal Lands. The whole thing raised a big stink and an embarrassment on
the part of the Dept. which did end up filing a friend of the court brief.

The long and short of it is that Oil Dri products apparently are mined
similar to Akadama, not fired like other products, unless I am missing
something here.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++