Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Default Quality and cost of seed

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Buying organic seeds means the farmer that produced them is trying to
tread lightly on the earth, and I want to support those efforts. Even
if I don't manage to be %100 organic in my yard, I can sure give a
little help to those who do.

The original question was if expensive seed are better. You wanting to
help organic farmers doesn't really answer the question.

Trouble with organic farming is that it take a few years to get going.

No, it doesn't.

You're lucky. Try starting with a plot that's loaded with millions of
weed seeds in the top 6".

Many newbies get sucked into organic and then give up.

I'll assume you're speaking of your own efforts,

I garden at a community garden. Each year the area is rough plowed.
Any plot not actively gardened with have a thick carpet of many
different weeds in a month. Every spring there's a crop of newbies.
Every year we need newbies because last year's quit.

We have free shreaded leaves, horse manure, sheep manure, chicken
manure for the taking. Several regulars have tillers and will even
till for other gardeners.

Newbies should
not start organic unless the plot had been organic farmed

Oh hogwash. With all the information the Internet puts at your finger
tips, anyone can get all the help they need to garden exactly as they
want. The most important part of putting in a garden is good soil
prep, but that's true for both organic and chemical users.

They also make it sound so easy. Newbies faced with real life discover
it's no picnic if they have to feed the tiger mosquitoes while
breaking their backs working the land. Also cultural practices alone
cannot defeat fungi and mold in a humid climate if you want to grow
stuff not well suited to your garden. I don't have a plot with good
air drainage and 8 hours of full sun. I guess one organic principle is
to only grow what's suited to your area. I really don't know if I want
to just grow swamp grass and poison ivy.

I'm sorry your attempt at gardening organically left you so twisted
and bitter, but not everyone has that much trouble.

I'm not bitter. You might be twisted. Anyway, some of the best
gardeners here use Roundup and chemical fertilizers as well as OFF in
addition to organic principles. One even built a cage on his plot to
keep out deer and racoon.

Yes the best gardener here killed his tomatoes the first time he used
Roundup. He also spends 4 or 5 hours a day there; annually add truck
loads of manure, leaf mold tilled into the soil. He still have to
spend hours weeding even with all the mulch. Weed seeds drift into the
area 24/7. Cost of Roundup might be high but it's cheaper than the gas
required to keep tilling and running the weedwacker.

I'm not a fanatic,

Some of the community gardeners here are.