Old 12-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default Mature size of these roses

JimS. wrote:
Radika,

Would the alcohol harm the vegetation? Seems like it might burn the leaves.
But what do I know? I'm no chemist....

Very good question, Jim. I do not know the answer.

However, I have seen instructions given in various places ranging sll
the way from a 50% (diluted with water) Listerine to this rather strange
formula of "Black spot, aphids and other bugs: A pretty "universal"
spray for just about everything. To water in a 2 gallon sprayer add: 2
tsp. baby shampoo 3 tsp. Listerine (store brand is fine) 1 tsp. ammonia
Shake it up good and spray away."

I do not know what the right procedure is, but I am saying that the
contents of Listerine being phenolic, may very well prove to be
fungicidal or fungistatic. Of course, I have no proof for this, but just
the observation that this adds up.

One ought to try it on a small part of the rose to be sure, of course.
My guess is that 25% alcohol will no more hurt the plant tissue
(especially with its cellulose cell wall that is less permeable than our
cells with only glycogen membrane) than it hurts our tissues. But what
do I know! I am not a plant biochemist, no sir.

--
Radika
California