Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

Default When to start treating lawn?

Hi,

just cut the lawn for the first time this spring (I think) and it looks
nice and green.

Unfortunately most of the bright green is moss.

The lawn is growing, I guess, but still slowly.

How early can I treat it to kill off some of the moss?

I plan to aerate with a fork (long and boring job) and scarify as well,
but I would like to get most of the moss out in time for the start of the
grass growing season when I can fill in the gaps with new seed.

Is it too early for a combined 'weed and feed'?

Will it be O.K. to use the last of the Autumn 'weed and feed'? Not the
ideal nutrient mix for spring, but it does contain moss killer.

Should I just apply lawn sand and forget about the weeding and feeding for
the moment?

TIA

Dave R