Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default BBC allotments programme on Friday

"Jasbird" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 18:27:58 -0000, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

Had Monty Don and a pile of allotments. It was one of those uplifting
touchy feely programmes that made me wish it was Summer; lots of shiny
vegetables and immaculate vegetable beds. I was amazed at teh sizes of
the
the patches (something like 10 metres by 30??

That's about the size of ours. We have friends with an allotment in
Bournemouth and theirs is half the size of ours. Our site is somewhat
unusual though, it's owned by a private landowner and administered by an
estate agent. Cheques for the rent (£20p.a.) go to a holding company in the
Virgin Islands. It can't be much of an earner for the estate agents. Also
the site is roughly triangular, so plots on the outsides get smaller towards
the bottom end. We're at the top corner:-))

Steve