Old 07-03-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mermaid

Default Newbie

Hello Susan,

Thank you for responding to my post. I live in Chattanooga, TN. I do not
know of any Societies here but that may not be true.
I have some of my plants in the greenhouse and some in front of my bay
window in the kitchen.
I have read several books but a lot of them are over my head and not written
in layman terms.

I would really like to get my greenhouse set up correctly and self
sustaining if possible.
Last summer I really had a problem keeping the greenhouse from getting too
hot. I even put a shade cloth on one side hoping that would help.
I have a electric exhaust fan in the gable with a thermostat and another fan
sending air in. Also I open the storm door glass. Maybe I am doing it wrong.
I was thinking if I set up a misting system that would help on the temp
problem. I don't have a clue how to set it up.

I think I just visited your website but I could not see some of your
gallery.

Thanks for your help,
Paulette

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 13:28:14 -0500, "Mermaid" wrote:

Hello,
I am new here. My husband built me a greenhouse that is 8 x 12. Can

someone
give me a link on how to correctly set it up inside for orchids?
I have a vent fan on top with a thermostat and have natural gas heat in

the
winter with access to water. I was thinking of setting up misters to help
with humidity.
I have about 10 plants of various types and sizes.

Thank you for any information you are willing to give.

Paulette

My first suggestion is find others in your area that are growing in a
gh to give you ideas. Do you belong to an Orchid Society? Where are
you in the country? I am assuming US although we have people from
Europe to Japan, Canada to SA that join in here.

Do you have any books on growing orchids? Have you been growing them
under lights or on a windowsill?

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids