Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Jim Conklin

Default Pea Soup Water

Friends something has happened in the last months or so with my 55 gal
planted tank. 2 Discus, 10 assorted neon's, 4 oto cats and three Cordy ones
together with a dwarf flame gourmie.

The fish seem and look healthy, but even with 30 to 50 % water changes
every three days or so I can barley see through the side of the tank. I
started this one in Feb of this year, cycled it and had a BEAUTIFUL setup
with crystal clear water. My pH (out of the well) is about 6.2, soft
water, and moderate hardness: seems perfect for the fish I keep. (85F)
Marineland 350 HOB filter and Fluvel XL2 both which I change. With the
water changes I use Flourish Trace, Excel and Comprehensive. (I stopped
using the iron supplement only because I thought I migh be overdosing with
chemicals.) My other though is to jack up the CO2 to 2 to 4 bubbles a
second to 'weed out the alge. As you can see I'm grasping at straws!!!

The algae seems to be the 'pea soup' kind, its not hanging on my plants
too much or encrusting my glass. The aquarium is NOT near a window and I
keep 2 65 watt CF bulbs on about 12 hrs a day. (Lately I turned this down
to 10 a day.) My water IS high in phosphates but I've had that before with
no major problem. I've even done the water changes using RO water to no
avail.

I remember a link on the net somewhwhere showing the various algae
descriptions and things that could be done to alleviate problems. Any help
appreciated, because as now I'm thinking of tearing down the whole thing and
starting fresh.

If you need more info from me just post here or at my email:
hogen10atyahoo.com. Thanks again!

Jim C