Old 07-03-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Making a living running a nursary or farm etc

Gardening_Convert writes
OK everyone , many thanks for all you input .

I guess what your telling me is don't be a prat ,stay in IT and stop
moaning about it

Keep gardening as a hobby and enjoy it and maybe over time start to
broaden you gardening skills and knowledge and see where it takes you
but do it in small steps !!

Think why you want to make the change. From what you've said, it's to
improve your quality of life more than a missionary zeal for
horticulture. If so, think what other changes you could make to bring
about this life change.

What bit of IT are you in? Are you working for a firm of consultants
being sent all over the country at a moment's notice, nights away from
the family, hours spent travelling that you don't get paid for?

Look at changing your area of IT (retraining if necessary) so that you
can work for one company. Lower pay, but not as low as horticulture, but
more time for family and gardening. (And a career in horticulture won't
do anything for your work-life balance)

Consider moving to a cheaper area of the country. Your lower pay will go
further, and improved commuting and better local services improve the
quality of life.

If you can pin down exactly what it is that causes your current
frustration, that will help you come up with more ideas for how to set
it right.
--
Kay