Old 07-03-2006, 09:14 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany,sci.physics
hanson

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too much ash

wrote in message
oups.com...
[hanson]
Not too many plants do store Hg till they wilt. HgMe2 is
volatile. The main acquisition of Hg into coal comes during
the wet bog phase via sequestering/chelating of Hg by humic
acids from mineral leeching over LONG periods of time.
These organic Hg compounds then become/evolve into
molecules of increasingly more hydrophobic nature as the
coalfaction process continues... Hence they/Hg ends up
highly enriched in anthracite.

[Archmed]
But I know some tree species evolved into a fire resistant bark
in order to live in fire prone regions, so I wonder what chemical
it is that gives them the best fire resistance. Is it K and salts?

[hanson]
It's not so much the chemicals as it's the structure of the bark
that gives the fire resistance. .. And as far as the chemicals,
apparently everybody except you knows that, it is these
Group V elememts here that do the main assistance in breaking
ignition sequence chain events on the molecular level....

[A.P. writes]
Thanks for the info and will keep in my scrap file.
Say, you would not happen to live in the Midwest, if my memory is
correct you are from Indiana. The reason I ask is that I need Rock Elm
seed, Ulmus racemosa (thomasii). Can you get some Rock Elm seed
and mail it to me. I will be eternally grateful.
Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

[hanson]
Sorry, Archie, I am nowhere near from there. It's been 30 years
since I have seen a Rock Elm. -- Here, either in Raratonga or in
Kauai-Princeville there are only Palm trees and other tropical jungle
brush. But I am sure that you can get your Rock Elm seed from
http://seedrack.com/indexw.html or http://www.garden-adventures.com/
or even via the USDA, or perhaps some kind poster, who lives
where your object of desire grows, will oblige. BTW, should RE
not be a native species in your knack of the woods, consult with the
enviro agencies first. There may be laws against introducing non
native plants.
Good Luck,
hanson