Old 07-03-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan

Default Turning a *road* into a wildlife Garden?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Sloes do not survive where I live. Yorkshire pennines :-(

Yer whaa? Clapham, Tutin and Warberg say that they grow naturally
up to 1360 feet in Yorkshire, and as far north as Sunderland. If
you can't grow sloes, then you are going to have the devil of a
job finding much that WILL grow!

Yes, really. They will grow on nearly bare chalk, very acid soils,
rich soils, poor soils, dry soils and fairly wet soils, and are
as hardy as almost anything (but you lose the crop from late frosts).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

When did they write THAT?
Sloes thrive well north of Sunderland. We never had trouble finding them in
Northumberland, and over on the west of Scotland Easdale Island near Oban is
covered in them. Or are these deliberate plantings rather than growing
naturally? As the ones I'm thinking of are on abandoned railways and a
worked-out slate quarry, I somehow doubt it!

Duncan