Old 08-03-2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Need Pump advice, HELP!

Moments before spontaneously combusting lurker was heard to ask:

im not so much worried about too much current as much as my filter not
being able to handle it. seems to do ok with the 750 but was designed
for a 550! i pretty much made up my mind on going with the mag pump
though.

about prefiltering, your ideas sound like they would work good.
could i cut out a peice of normal filter material that holds bacteria
in external filters and just place it over the pumps intake? or would
covering the entire pump be necessary.

Don't just cover the intake itself or the filtering material can clog and
slow or stop the water flow. I wrap the entire pump in the window screen -
at least 2 or 3 layers. I don't depend on my pumps being biological
filters. If the screen is stiff and don't want to stay in place I put some
stones over it to keep down.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952