Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Turning a *road* into a wildlife Garden?

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop writes:
| On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:17:52 +0000, Broadback wrote:
|
| |Janet suggested gorse, yes it will grow on poor soil, it is trying to
| |colonise the poor part of my garden. The problem is that it is very
| |invasive, and takes over everything, also rabbits love the protection,
| |and they will ruin most plants and small trees! If you have ever seen
| |gorse lined slopes you will know what I mean.
|
| Not gorse, or brambles they are much too invasive.

That is a common myth. Note that gorse dominates only in a few
conditions, and those are usually when little else will grow.
In particular, even small trees will shade it out.

Similar remarks are true about brambles, though those are very
invasive in rich soils where trees are prevented from growing
and there is no grazing, mowing etc. They will grow in shade,
but not take over.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.