Old 08-03-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley

Default APOLOGIES FOR THE BAD MULCH POST

Stephen Henning wrote:
"madgardener" wrote:

But I'm keeping my mouth shut and waiting for the people who LIVE
down there and are AWARE to keep us informed. I'm up here in Tennessee, and
I know I won't be buying cheaply priced mulch just to be safe. Off to play
in the yard..........

Acording to the USDA:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/newsroom/...asivepest.html

Before Katrina the Formosan subterranean termite was Louisiana's most
destructive insect, causing as much as $500 million in economic losses
in the state and $1 billion nationwide per year.

Acording to the LSU Ag center: http://www.agctr.lsu.edu/termites/

A quarantine was put in place banning removal of wood or cellulose
material unless it is fumigated or treated for Formosan subterranean
termites and is approved for movement in the Hurricane Katrina and
Hurricane Rita affected parishes of Louisiana on October 3, 2005.

Mississippi had a quarantine in effect prior to the recent hurricanes on
"All cellulose material that has been in contact with soil":
http://www.mdac.state.ms.us/n_librar...pdf/reg_plantp
est_rule40.pdf

It is certainly possible that some Katrina wood debris has crossed the
state lines through the negligence or unscrupulousness of private
individuals. Some politicians may be unscrupulous also.

Wow! What an understatement as concerns Louisiana. We generally tell
people we have the "finest politicians money can buy." A former
governor, his son, and at least two former insurance commissioners are
currently in the federal prison system for taking monetary rewards for
favors offered.

As far as the unscupulousness of private individuals there are a number
of citizens of Louisiana who have been bilked of their money by
"contractores" who were hired to repair hurricane damage and the latest
scam is conmen calling folks up and pretending to be from FEMA. They
want your social security number, your bank name and account numbers,
and your electronic funds routing number so they can "send you some
government money." I may be old but I ain't stupid. VBG

The extension office in Ohio made the statement:
http://extension.osu.edu/~news/story.php?id=3544

The exotic Formosan subterranean termite has been widely distributed via
commerce. It is established in parts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas,
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and
Tennessee. It is found in other states along the Gulf Coast that have
not imposed a quarantine on the movement of wood. Hence, movement of
this species is possible.

Kansas State University made the statement:
http://www.oznet.k-state.edu/news/topstory.asp

In theory, Formosan termites cant survive outside the south 33.5
degrees latitude is close to their limit. The problem is, if they can
get indoors where its warm and they find a source of water, they can
survive anywhere that has wood, because they dont need soil, Upham said.

Many extension offices including Penn State have decided the problem is
not worth mentioning.

The targets of the Internet hysteria, Lowes and Home Depot apparently
have yet to publish rebuttals to these vicious rumors. The greatest
danger would be in bulk mulch in areas near the disaster, not in bagged
mulch from national chains.

Very good post Stephen.

George