Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default Germinating old hot pepper seeds.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have some seeds from a very special hot pepper plant that are several
years old. They were dried in the pod. I've tried planting them in dirt
about one inch down in a peat pellet that I've been keeping moist and
on the kitchen counter.

It's been 4 weeks now and I see no sprouts. Is there a better method
for me to use to get the seeds to germinate?

I've been told to scuff the outside of the seed and to use a heating
pad under it peat pellet. I only have about 10 more seeds.

If someone could tell me a sure-fire way of doing this, I'd be very
grateful.

Try putting the seeds on damp kitchen tissue in a tray, with a cover to keep
the light out. Then you can see when they germinate, and plant them as they
sprout. You can also control the dampness, if you can't see what's going on,
the seeds may be rotting. Have you retrieved any for a look?

Steve