Old 08-03-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Germinating old hot pepper seeds.

On 8 Mar 2006 05:53:31 -0800, wrote:

I have some seeds from a very special hot pepper plant that are several
years old. They were dried in the pod. I've tried planting them in dirt
about one inch down in a peat pellet that I've been keeping moist and
on the kitchen counter.

That's too deep for a pepper seeds. As someone else said, no more than
a quarter inch deep, and don't pack it too tight. However, that being
said, some chilis can take almost a month to germinate. What kind do
you have?

Gently split one of the peat pellets open and see if the seed has
germinated and is just too deep. If so, very, very gently replant it
at the surface, root down.

It's been 4 weeks now and I see no sprouts. Is there a better method
for me to use to get the seeds to germinate?

If the seeds are several years old, they may not germinate at all. How
were the dried pods stored?

I've been told to scuff the outside of the seed and to use a heating
pad under it peat pellet. I only have about 10 more seeds.

Keeping the soil the seeds are in at 70 F will speed germination, but
I wouldn't scarify a pepper seed. Scarifying only helps with thick
coated seeds, it lets the water get in to the seedling. Pepper seeds
are too thin coated, water gets into them easily, and you would
probably damage the seedling. Soaking them wouldn't hurt, but, in my
opinion, it doesn't help much, either.

If someone could tell me a sure-fire way of doing this, I'd be very
grateful.

Since these are special seeds of some sort, I would recommend using
something larger than the peat pellets. You can use peat pots , small
plastic flower pots, or 16 oz disposable plastic drinking cups (poke
some drain holes in the bottom). Use a commercial seed starting
mixture, and use bottom heat, ie, a seed starting mat or hot pad.
Don't over water, the soil should be moist, but not wet. You might
want to consider using the plastic pots or cups because it's a little
easier to manage the moisture level correctly than when using peat
pots*.

Once the seeds germinate, they'll need light. Shop lights work just
fine, but put the seedlings very close to the light, the light should
be less than a foot about the tray. You can also run aluminum foil
along the edge of the light down to the tray to reflect more light
onto the seedlings. Once a day or so, gently shake your seedling to
stimulate thicker stem growth.

After about 6 or 8 weeks, the plants will be ready to transplant.
Don't move pepper plants outside until the night time temperatures are
50 F or above, and remember to harden off the seedlings first.

Good luck with this, and please feel free to ask for clarification if
anything here has confused you.

Penelope

* don't get me wrong, I love peat pots, but they can go from being
moist to too dry during the typical 8 hour work day if you're using
bottom heat.

"ElissaAnn"