Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Greg Mortensen

Default Germinating old hot pepper seeds.

In . com writes:

I've been told to scuff the outside of the seed and to use a heating
pad under it peat pellet. I only have about 10 more seeds.

Hard-to-start pepper seeds (that have been stored properly) can usually
be persuaded to sprout by a combination of:

1. Soaking the seeds
2. Planting in moist vermiculite, and applying bottom heat

I've successfully germinated hard-to-start pepper seeds (including
wild ones) by soaking them in (in order of preference) a gibberellic
acid solution[1], weak tea solution[2], a bleach solution, or a potassium
nitrate solution. What you use will depend on what you have on hand.

After soaking them, plant them in moist vermiculite (I find that peat
pellets are too dense, and that they dry out too quickly). The seeds
should be pushed just below the surface. If possible, apply bottom heat
with a germination mat (I try to keep the soil temperature between 80 - 90
degrees. You'll get more sprouts at a lower temperature, but they'll
sprout faster at a higher temperature).

Good luck.

Regards,
Greg