Old 08-03-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Default RHS Gen. Cert. Hort. - all over

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Trevor
writes
Anyone know what the definition of multisowing is?

No 'Name 4 plants for winter interest', '5 plants for dry shade' or '4
scented winter plants' etc. in fact very little on plants I thought.

How'd everyone think they did?

Judging by this extract on the web

"This reduction is even greater when deficit irrigation is applied. The
analysis was conducted using the simplified optimization model mentioned
above. The results showed that a multisowing-date strategy reduced the
peak farm water-demand rate by more than 20% thus potentially allowing
a reduction in irrigation-system capacity and/or size. depletion of soil
water, soil water potential and plant water potential or canopy
temperature. For practical reasons, the most widely used indicators are
soil water content and soil water potential. However, the spatial
variability of the soil and irrigation depth gives rise to highly variable
soil water content and/or potential data when these are..."

I would hazard a guess and say sowing in succession, like lettuces when
you don't want a glut.

One of the other questions in the same overall question was to describe
'successional sowing' !