Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default RHS Gen. Cert. Hort. - all over

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
Judging by this extract on the web

"This reduction is even greater when deficit irrigation is applied.
The analysis was conducted using the simplified optimization model
mentioned above. The results showed that a multisowing-date strategy
reduced the peak farm water-demand rate by more than 20% thus
potentially allowing
a reduction in irrigation-system capacity and/or size. depletion of
soil water, soil water potential and plant water potential or canopy
temperature. For practical reasons, the most widely used indicators
are soil water content and soil water potential. However, the spatial
variability of the soil and irrigation depth gives rise to highly
variable soil water content and/or potential data when these are..."

I would hazard a guess and say sowing in succession, like lettuces
when you don't want a glut.

One of the other questions in the same overall question was to
describe 'successional sowing' !

The passage quoted is a pretty good example of techno-turbidity:
positively caliginous. The RHS could have had it put into English before
hitting students with it.

No Mike ! I searched for multi sowing and a pdf came up about
agriculture in Africa, this was a small extract from it!
I was trying to be helpful
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph