Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Anthony Aversano

Default Lush moss...Help !!!problem

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:52:36 -0500, "john" wrote:

I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil. I
was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered

Have you ever thought of going a different direction? Maybe come up with a
planting scheme that uses the moss as a base/background instead of going with
grass. There are a lot of interesting woodland type planting schemes that might
look fantastic there. If you do decide to take the moss out, and it comes out in
such convenient sheets, do you have any rock work on your lot? Moss and rocks
tend to look rather nice, in fact some people pay quite a bit of money that
install moss covered rocks in their landscapes.

Tony