Old 09-03-2006, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
norman

Default Lush moss...Help !!!problem

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"norman" wrote in message
"john" wrote in message
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick
moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at

it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the
north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3
and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the
soil.

was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with

such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss
and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass

than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting

that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered.

Since everyone else is 'tap-dancing' around your original question, I'll
give it a shot.

If the grass is that far gone under the moss, it sounds like you have
little
choice but to replace it.

I'd remove all the moss/grass, till, level, and lay new sod. Done.

Yeah I tap danced because I see this a lot. I have moss, how can I get

rid
of this evil thing.... I truly wish to know why the moss is considered to
be such a bad thing?

Like everything in this world, it's preference. It sounded like John did not
like moss in his grass.

We have places in our property that have moss. We use
that. We like that. It grew there because for that micro climate it is
nature's decision that it is the best thing in that spot.

Agreed. I've got a few spots on my North side where the moss loves to take
over.

Yep, other folks don't want it and I just wish to know the other side of

the
thought process. Not an argument, just quite curious.

If we were all the same it would be a boring world :-)