Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Lush moss...Help !!!problem

"john" wrote in message
I recently purchased a home. On the side of the yard there is a thick moss
problem that has probably been unattended to for years. When I look at it
there is very sparse grass and thick moss. In fact, right now in the north
east it is starting to thaw. i can lift the moss up in sheets, maybe 3 and
four feet square in size. Underneath, left behind is nothing but the soil.

was going to hit the moss with a moss killer but now i wonder , with such
little grass left behind, if I am better off just lifting all the moss and
planting new grass in the spring. On the fringes there is more grass than
moss and it kind of clings to the ground, so I was thinking of hitting

that
area with the moss killer. What do you guys think I should do?? All
recommendations will be considered

Thanks

John W

Sounds like you are better off stripping back and regrassing rather than
trying to rehabilitate the existing grass. Ensure you take all the moss off
however. You may be better to extend the area you prepare for re grassing to
take in the fringe areas of moss/grass. If the moss is persistent do you
need to consider soil drainage or access to light? Do you need to lay down a
sandy soil to improve drainage or cut back foliage to allow more light in?

I have had problems with moss in various areas of the garden. I have tried
resowing but found the moss returned as, like snother poster said, it was
what grew best there. I have converted those areas to raised gardens or
paths a I was never going to solve sufficiently to my satisfaction the moss
problem.

rob