Old 10-03-2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Orchidoofus

Default Phalaenopsis diseased

Hi, from a new member. I usually "luk" to get a feel of how a group
interacts, but your question is one with which I can relate. I had the
same proble/s. Advice I received on that clear vranishy stuff was that
it will go of its own accord and won't harm the plant. Feel free to
ignore that if you want to. I ignored the varnishy stuff and worked on
the little brown scales. Mine wer scale insects. They will igmore lemon
juice I'm afraid, so I hope you can face something a bit less organic
than that. I had to use cotton buds soaked in methylated spirits to
wipe/scrape off teh scale insects one by one. Time consuming, but they
can't be shifted with a gentle rinse down.
Funny though, once they had gone, the clear varnishy stuff hasn't come
back (yet)?

Hope this helps.