Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default mandevilla & plumbago propagate seed?

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 9/3/06 23:45, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

Ray says that he's never used Plumbago seeds but takes cuttings.
However,
with Mandevilla, his remark was that it comes up like mustard & cress!
Use
a decent seed compost, cover it lightly, water it and leave it alone.
Hope
it works. ;-) I really think we should try you with Passiflora
antioquensis, Janet! ;-)

Oh no! Well maybe one or two seeds but I don't enjoy growing tender
plants, I just received some seed in a seed swap we had and I love
germinating and growing on plants! Then when they get too big and need
planting I usually give them away or swap them for hardier stuff.

(gardening philistine I'm afraid
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

Well that makes me a complete pleb, scuffer, one of the great unwashed. I
grow bananas by the score and swap for anything more exotic (but
hardier).

Did you get some of the Paulownia seeds I doled out a couple of years ago?
If not, would you like some this year, if our tree behaves itself
properly?
One urgler who lives in France grew so many that she did swaps with her
local nursery and managed to get some nice new goodies for her garden. I
don't know how the tree will fare this year after the cold (for us) nights
that we've had but we'll X fingers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Most kind. Well worth a go. Bananas are fun but I do get really frustrated
tying up propagators for nearly a year. Following all the helpful advice in
this group I think the germination success may be better this year.