Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

Default Quality and cost of seed

Jim Carlock wrote:

Such as? Can you cite something in particular?

No I will not because you don't really want to know. I'm sure you're
smart enough to find anything to support your beliefs.

And what about the insects and diseases that grow immune to DDT?
Is it right to poison and murder kids and children in your quest to
kill all diseases, all bacteria and all life?

No what abouts. You're not willing even to accept chemicals works so
it's a waste of time to argue.

Go drink a cup of DIET COCA-COLA (or any aspartame chemical,

I average a 2 liter bottle daily of castrated coke (caffine free diet
coke). I hardly ever drink water except at restaurants where water is
free and coke is not. I know people who will not and have read anti
aspartame sites. You can make the arguement that strawberries kill
because test data from lab rats feed strawberries resulted in higher
mortality. Of course if you want to kill yourself by eating
strawberries, you'll have to eat so much that you'll be constantly
crapping.

So go ahead, drink Diet drinks promoted by the
American President, by a Vice President that shoots his friends.
And stand outside for eight hours each day during the hottest days of
the month and we'll see if your here in 4 years.

Been doing that since they introduced it. No just a cup now and then
but pretty much instead of water. Please don't act stupid. Nobody is
going to stand outside in the heat. Why don't you do that and I'll
allow you all the water you want. Now if you had to do that in the
Gulf because of Baby Bushe's ranting then I'm sorry.

Why do you rant instead of discussing rationally?

She wasn't calling you any names. She was just pointing out that you

shut your eyes on purpose to things that occur around you, hoping
that you might acknowledge things your missing.

I hope so and I do acknowledge the disadvantages of chemical. They
just don't outweigh the advantages.

The Pennsylvania Dutch who still live in the horse and buggy era lives
a good life but that's not for me. Also they don't go around preaching
organic like moonies preaching universal church.

Again, your eyes are closed. Look at it this way... "organic" IS
a marketing word and nothing more, when talking about things
on a store shelf.

Since organic carries a premium, isn't it stupid not to grow organic?
It is not stupid because the higher input costs do not justify higher
sale prices. American farmers are not stupid. It's not just chemicals
involved here. You cannot forget economics. Hobby farmers can ignore
economics but not if you are trying to make a living at farming.

Your talking about commercialization and advertising there, and
nothing more. If you buy a bag of bread marked "Organic" and
its produced in the same way the unmarked bags are produced,
but you pay a higher price, what are you talking about? People
tag a bag of bread as "Organic" as a marketing ploy. They put
a higher price on it, and IF they sell more of it, they then mark
ALL their bags with the word. It's 100% legal.

Not any more. To be certified organic, you have to be organic for at
least 3 years. Of course if you're a cook you can always have a cohort
buy the chemicals for you under some fake name and take delivery away
from you farm site. Store your chemicals off site so inspectors won't
find them.