Old 10-03-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

Default RHS Gen. Cert. Hort. - all over

"undergroundbob" wrote in message

What about 'define senescence'?? That had us all squeaking up here
(those sitting in Edinburgh). I've looked it up and I'm still no
wiser. From comments it seems that no course can hope to cover all the
random stuff the RHS has to choose from.

I mean, what was that one about the organisation for protecting plant
diversity about? I'd never heard of them!

Our tutors had given us a copy of every exam paper in ther past 7 years. I
did 6 hours revision in the last 6 days, and on the morning of the exam saw
this question and went to ther NCCPG website. There it gave you 3 things
they are doing to further plant conservation:

640 National Plant Collections

40 area groups

the Demeter database project.

Just lucky I spotted it!

Gutted I didn't get the chance to use all the other stuff I'd learned
too. Hard to see when knowing the definitions of meosis and mitosis
will come into general conversation. Although I'm delighted I
memorised the defenition of parathenocarpy.

Does anyone know what the passmark is? So I can count up all the ones
I just guessed at and know roughly what to expect...

Passmark is 50% and distinction is 75%

I hadn't;t a clue what the parts of a flower were or what mitosis or meiosis
where until 2 days before the exam!