Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default tomato moneymaker & tumbling tom

Richard Brooks wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
I wondered about that ? My old man used to use plenty of manure in
raised soil beds but nowadays a lot of people buy those plastic bags
you cut holes in that usually contain just compost of one sort or
another. It might be worth doing a test using both on the same tomato
type.

I've never done parallel trials, but I suspect the mucky ones would be
better than the growbag ones. I certainly _want_ to believe it, anyhow.

Is it something akin to what Victor Lewis-Smith stated in one episode
of Bygones concerning kidney soup and it being the urine that helped
the flavour ? My parents used to joke about that all the time.

Bloom's breakfast kidneys in Ulysses come to mind! I'd rather my
tomatoes didn't remind me of their, er, "earthy" origins with every
mouthful!

--
Mike.