Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 AM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
donald haarmann

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too much ash

"Dan"

| We know this because ash used to be the main source of nitrates for the
| production of gunpowder way back when (and may still be, but I doubt
| it). Ash is not a known mixture, it just means what's left after
| burning.

Sorry. Wood ash was never the source of nitrate, it was, however, the source of
potash (potassium carbonate) mixed with the cave (for instance) nitrate (calcium),
to convert it into usable potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate being hygroscopic.

--
donald j haarmann