Old 11-03-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Planting an Acer

On 11/3/06 6:19, in article
, "NC" wrote:

sam wrote:
NC wrote:

All,
After advice from here, I have bought a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum
Osakazuki). It arrived from Crocus.co.uk today, and I will be planting
it tomorrow. Whats the best way to go about this - any tips ??

So long as you remember it is a calcifuge and requires an ericaceous soil.
Just to be on the safe side,mix a sachet of Sequestrine with the water,or
get some ericaceous liquid feed fro the garden shop. You will have a truly
lovely tree.

Spoken with the sife last night, snd we like the idea of putting it in a
large pot - does the same advice still stand ?? Anything additional ? Do
I need a stake is using a pot ?
(main reason for a pot is that I want to grow herbs etc not too far away
from it, and dont want competition for nutrients etc).

If you're going to put it in a pot you can buy the right compost to put it
in. Make sure the pot is raised off the ground so that water can drain right
out of it and whatever you do, don't waterlog your tree. I don't think
you'll need to stake it but don't put it in a windy situation, either. I
don't think that the needs of the herbs will clash with those of the Acer if
you plant it in the ground, however. If you think of the way herbs grow
naturally, they're often on stony, poor soil that's very free-draining. For
example, we have some rosemary growing as a short, low hedge in a stone wall
above a pond. The only watering they get is from the rain, which drains
away rapidly there and they never get any feeding.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk