Old 11-03-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default a better grape tomato?

wrote:

I only had room to grow one tomato. I got one from a produce stand which also had
some plants. The first one ripened and it was so bad I pulled the rest of the plant
out and dumped it. the green tomatoes one by one ripened and not even my dogs would
eat them. my mother swore by "sweet millions" but I dont see the plants for sale.
Ingrid

I agree with your mother. Sweet Millions is a much improved version of
Sweet 100. No one around here sells the plants either so I start mine
from seeds. I get my seed from Totally Tomatoes,
http://www.totallytomato.com or Tomato Growers Supply Company,
http://www.tomatogrowers.com

Anyone that has a limited area for tomatoes should try growing some
container varieties. There are some that grow to very small plants (6
to 8 inches) but have heavy yields. Some very good ones that I have
grown are Florida Petite (this is a very early tomato, 40 days), Red
Robin (early, 55 days), Tumbler Hybrid (very early, 49 days). Tumbler is
a very good variety for hanging baskets too.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969