Old 11-03-2006, 06:38 PM posted to sci.chem,sci.bio.botany
Bob

Default element or compound in tree bark that it burns with too much ash

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:27:31 GMT, "donald haarmann"
wrote:

"Farooq W"

| My fault... Its ppm for entries below SO3. More surprising the uptake
| of heavy metals especially Th and U by the plants...Barium is
| abnormally high or the soil on which that tree grew was rich in barium
| ores!

-------------
The up take of uranium by plants is well know. See for example :-

Botanical Prospecting for Uranium on La Ventana Mesa, Sandoval County
New Mexico. US Geological Survey Bulletin 1009-M. 1956.

Some plants uptake serious amounts of selenium.

A Berkeley group is developing the use of a plant for Se
decontamination of soil. It is in field testing. (I could probably
find a ref if someone wants it.)

Then there are the Ni accumulators, which have several percent Ni in
their sap, nicely chelated (citrate, I think).

bob