Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

Default Newbie

Mermaid wrote:
Hello Susan,

Thank you for responding to my post. I live in Chattanooga, TN. I do not
know of any Societies here but that may not be true.

That was such a neat area, I attended Heart of Dixie Orchid Society
(H.O.D.O.S.) in Huntsville AL, and we had a display in Chattanooga in
2000 before I moved to Missouri. I don't remember what the Chattanooga
Society is called, but there were at least two other societies in
Tennessee that had exhibits at that show. One was in Nashville, and
the other called itself Central or Mid Tennessee or something similar.
The Chattanooga show was in February or March, and the HODOS in
Huntsville is coming up the last of March or the first part of April.
They also have a web site.

Last summer I really had a problem keeping the greenhouse from getting too
hot. I even put a shade cloth on one side hoping that would help.

One site recommended putting the shad cloth above and outside the walls
of the greenhouse and allow at least 6 inches to prevent heat build up
between the two surfaces. The black shade cloth absorbs enough heat to
negate cooling efforts if it is inside the greenhouse. I have started
using white shade cloth for that reason.

Good luck and happy growing.

Nancy