Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Alnus rubra

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Our local branch of Morrisons, in Totnes, has some Alders planted in the

car
park and one, in particular, has enormously long catkins - every year I
promise myself that I'll try to get some seeds from it and this year I
really must kick myself to remember to do it!

If you do, you will need to inoculate the seed-tray with soil taken
from beneath an alder around its roots.
Alder seeds will only germinate in soil which contains the right
bio-whatsits. I'm hoping David P can supply the right explanation :-)
Janet.

~~~~~~~~
This inoculant is only really necessary in boggy conditions. Normal
seed compost suffices otherwise for germination and growth. The symbiotic
fungus [miccorhiza] would help in difficult situations.
Best Wishes Brian.