Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Planting an Acer

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:20:57 -0000
"Rupert" wrote:

"NC" wrote in message
All,
After advice from here, I have bought a Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum
Osakazuki). It arrived from Crocus.co.uk today, and I will be planting it
tomorrow. Whats the best way to go about this - any tips ?? Should I add
bone meal or anything to the hole before planting ??
Current plan is to soak the root ball in water for 10mins (it says to on
the label..) and then plant it to the top the root ball - and thats about
it!
Soil is that of a new build house - with a reasonably high clay content. I
have already forked a good load of well rotted horse manure into the area.

I think it is a mistake to soak the roots. Water after planting.

That technique seems OK for the Osakazuki.I would omit the bone meal and
fork it in a few feet away from the plant.

I do use a bit of bone meal, underneath.

A heavy mulch around the newly planted tree should help if we get a long
severe frost.

Indeed, and more important will keep the soil cool during the summer.

Pay attention to the root ball and unravel the roots a bit if it is pot
bound.

But otherwise disturb them as little as possible.

The most important thing is that the soil (in pot or wherever)
drains well. The plant doesn't really require acid soil, although
it will not do well if the soil is very alkaline.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom