Old 12-03-2006, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Need help with Roses

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone,

I planted my second rose bush last year and it did great. The
instructions said to cut back to 8 inches and cover with mulch at the
end of summer to protect it during winter. I was just wondering if
anyone knew when I should uncover it to prepare it for the growing
season. I am in Southwestern PA zone 5.

I also wanted to ask when I should beging fertilizing and treating for
inscets. I usually use Bayer products but I am not sure if they are
the best to use. Is there a product that someone recommends.

Thanks!

Geneva

I'm in a very different zone, but let me make
a few suggestions and hope someone closer
to your climate can contribute.

When I've planted bare root roses, I've covered
them with soil and didn't wash off the soil until
I could see new growth beginning. Even then,
it was a gradual process. I'm guessing that would
be good approach coming out of winter: Watch
for bud break (baby leaves) and start removing
mulch gradually.

Fertilizing: Usually that can wait until the rose
is growing actively and can take up the fertilizer
safely. You might check out the American
Rose Society site:
www.ars.org
especially their articles section (open to the public),
which should have some recommendations about
feeding and insecticides. I do know that the
rose bush should be watered well before
feeding.

I personally don't use insecticides except in very
rare cases. Most of the nasty insects are taken care
of by birds and good insects/bugs, like lady bugs.
It's a healthier approach to gardening (assuming you
don't have killer bugs that require treatment) and,
more importantly, suits my lazy nature.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8