Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default New Pond

frogs are dead. fish dont go into suspended animation. they move at bottom of pond
all winter.
if your ponds stinks it could be 1. dead frogs, 2. dead snails, 3. dead water. Water
needs to be moving and aerated all year or it stagnates. With no fish in there go
ahead and start removing the leaves. Get a cheap kmart double outlet air pump, add a
couple big stones and drop them down to aerate the water. aerobic bacteria working
dont smell, anaerobic bacteria make sulfur compounds that stink.
I bring my cyperus plants into the house in fall, stick them into a 150 gallon stock
tank with a foot of water. sometime in january it began to stink so I got the air
pump going and within 24 hours it quit smelling.
dont change the water right now, use the aeration and later the pump circulation and
the pond will clear up. your filter should get rid of the silt and crud.
Ingrid

"Mikasa" wrote:
When I took off the lid, there was this big, I mean really big
frog laying in the back of the filter, filtered side of the water.
another big frog laying on the first drop from the waterfall, stretched
out and his eyes open. I dont know if he is dead or what.

Do frogs go into that "suspended animation" state like the fish do?

.. Will the smell go away before a water
change?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com